December to Remember 2


After years of navigating life’s hurdles, my brilliance and exceptional good behavior got me a scholarship from one of the many sponsors of the orphanage. I eventually graduated from a government owned university. That was the best day of my life. My NYSC year came and I became a government pikin (child). It was my first time of a heavy credit alert and I made sure all my siblings got a new gift. But I knew service year would soon end which means, no more allowances. I was worried. I needed to get a job ASAP. 

On the day of my passing-out parade, fate intervened. Maybe it was luck, my diligence or my face, which society conveniently classifies as beautiful, but I was the only youth corper retained by the company I worked for during my service year. I was ecstatic. My salary was not much but it was stable. 

Months later, the company had to downsize. Some of us had to be dropped and I was one of the unfortunate ones. Losing a job after a year of earning a steady income was a brutal blow, especially when I had no one to fall back on. But I refused to stay down. I searched, Googled, emailed and went for countless interviews. A month after, luck smiled at me again—I secured a job at a hospitality company.

Hospitality was never my dream, nor was it my field, but unemployment wasn’t an option. The salary was meager, but it was better than nothing. I was a newbie so the struggle was real—figuring out where I would fit in was a challenge. Eventually, they placed me in the food and beverage section.

I won’t lie—it was overwhelming. My first month was a whirlwind of confusion despite the trainings. Mistakes piled up, and frustration kicked in. But I am no stranger to challenges. I fought through the struggle, and before long, I found my rhythm. I became good—really good.

Within months, I was promoted to the level of an assistant to the assistant manager. My life swung between stability and chaos, but at least it was moving forward. Then came that fateful day in December 2021 when everything changed. 





MORE:

Comments

  1. We don't need this suspense now. Kindly, post the remaining part of the story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Comment.
Click on the Subscription button to get more stories.

NB: Any comment that is not by Nikkyivyblog is the exclusive opinion of the Reader who commented and does not reflect the views of Nikkyivyblog

Popular posts from this blog

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

AFLOAT SEASON 2 Ep.11

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 Ep. 12

Nollywood and The New Thrill