Afloat E. 3

Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”

― Mark Twain

******

Renowned for leading the team that won the Calabar carnival consecutively and also for winning individual awards as the queen of the carnival, Mabel was almost a regal figure. Eventually, she found love, got married, relocated and later returned home when her husband won the Chairmanship slot. 

Brad, a soft footed investor, who was in the same troupe with her back in the days, got wind of her return and succeeded in convincing her to join forces with him to win this year’s award with his new troupe. As you already know; we are his new troupe. I heard he had a difficult time convincing her and we are still trying to guess how he did it, so don’t ask me how.

“Mabel, we still have an appointment with the costumier. It’s almost 7pm.” 

Brad said in his fancy deep voice; the man should join a choir already. Oh, I forgot to mention that Brad also acted as our DJ, the go to man slash IT guy. Add; and he has a crush on Irene, to that list. He always knew how and when to get her a breather from Mabel’s fangs while making it look like it was all the latter’s idea. Well, in this case; how to get us all a break because we were no longer finding waist and body twisting appealing. Mabel sprang up from her “throne” and my heart leapt with utmost relief. 

“Same time, same location this weekend! Practise your routines and get here before me if you have any wish of being part of the upcoming carnival!”

Her high pitched voice nearly drilled a hole in my eardrums and worsened my hunger. Good lord! How does her husband cope with that? I thought as I headed for the changing area with the rest. Since I was not in the mood for undressing or sharing a shower, I dragged my backpack and dashed for the exit while tactfully avoiding the cluster of sweaty bodies and chattering girls. I nearly made it out, but the sound of my name halted my exit. With a frown creasing my brow, I turned towards the voice. 

Muscles, the lifter with Abs to die for, according to the girls who were always drooling over him, stepped over and peered down at me, dwarfing me. His height made a joke of my 5,6. 

“You are Dapper?”

“Who is asking?” 

I was bored, hungry and uncomfortable with the way he was standing too close to me. He frowned and flexed his muscles. 

“What type of name is Dapper?”

“What type of name is Muscles?” Me and my big mouth, sometimes I talk before thinking. 


He smiled down at me and took a step backwards. What is he smiling at? I asked myself and gave him a weird look.

“What do you want?”

“Brad wants to see you NOW.” 

He emphasized the Now before trudging off. I stared on at his back as my brain tried to decode the information. 

Brad? How was that even possible? Why would Brad want to see me instead of Irene? Since when did I become visible to anybody in the troupe? There was a mix up somewhere but muscle man was nowhere in sight to give me an answer. Voices I could recognise floated into the long empty hallway from the locker rooms, bouncing off its grubby walls and mingling with the cold air seeping in through ajar exit door. Suddenly, my phone vibrated in my denim pocket so I pulled it out and peered down at the bright screen. It was a message from my mother, a reminder to start coming home. I smiled and hurriedly sent a reply; on my way mom!


It wasn’t that late yet, but my mom would always fret. She had not openly expressed her displeasure with the rehearsals which were now running into the night but I knew my mom. She was beginning to get worried over my safety especially since I had to walk home alone most nights and was getting ready to have a long conversation with me about it. I was expecting that to happen tonight or anytime soon and I was ready with my excuses ofcourse.

Letting out a long sigh, I decided to unravel the mystery behind Brad mixing me up with his Irene before heading out. Dragging my unwilling body along, I headed for the rehearsal room. Brad would still be in there fiddling with his music things, I guessed. Without bothering to knock, I pushed open the door and was greeted by the most heated and embarrassing scene I had ever witnessed in my young life. Who could have guessed?

NEXT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7