Valentine’s Day in Nigeria


It is the fourteenth day of February and I almost danced on my toes as my eyes darted to my wrist watch for the umpteenth time today. I must confess that I have been unable to sit still since the beginning of February. My anxiety heightened with each rising of the sun.

The previous day, I had gone shopping for a lovely Red gown and a special gift for my sweetie in readiness for our very special day. Don't get excited yet, it is definitely not his birthday nor our Anniversary. It’s actually St. Valentine’s Day!

If you are reading this and you are not a Nigerian, I can bet my lovely red gown...wait, definitely not my gown, but I'm sure you are wondering if Nigerians celebrate Valentine’s Day. Well, it’s no longer a secret that in Nigeria, Valentine’s, Val's or Lovers' day is always celebrated in grand style...
On that special day, people try to look beyond the poor state of the nation. They share love while trying to forget the hardship and pains of life. Lovers would exchange affectionate gifts in appreciation of their loved ones and dress up either in red, white or pink attires. Lovers, who do not fancy wearing red, would definitely have something red on them. It’s also a day when Shops offer discounts so as to attract more customers, the streets, restaurants, schools are decorated with red and white confettis, heart shaped balloons and huge signs wishing everybody a happy Val’s day.

In Nigeria, Love is always in the air on Val’s day. Ladies who have had doubts about the depth of their partners' love for them usually end up setting their fears aside at the end of the day. You want to know why? Well, the thing is; Nigerian men are always at their best on Lovers’ day!

Simply put, they spoil their Lovers silly with expensive gifts and exotic treats. In fact, it’s a day most single Nigerian men pop the question while the married men, in their bid to make their loved ones more desirable, usually organize surprise parties or picnics. Churches are not left out of the fun; comedy shows, love feasts or retreats are usually organized for their congregation during which gifts are exchanged while others visit the less privileged with brightly wrapped gifts. Most tertiary homes always look forward to February 14th of every year.

In the midst of all the fun, glitter and Love, I must mention the small group of single Nigerian men who never fail to clearly express their displeasure for the day. To them, Val’s day is a day their girlfriends exploit them, as they usually expect to be impressed with very expensive gifts, treats or a diamond ring as the case may be. I’m always on the lookout for their interesting and passionate articles about Nigerian girls, expensive gifts and postponement of the Val’s day.


I love celebrating Valentine’s Day in Nigeria. I wish you a Blissful celebration!!

Image source: Premiumtimesng

Comments

  1. LOVELY! Missing Naija and bad bele people on this blog

    Nota Val person. But I share d love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikky abeg oh!!!! All the love talk is making me drowsy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Comment.
Click on the Subscription button to get more stories.

NB: Any comment that is not by Nikkyivyblog is the exclusive opinion of the Reader who commented and does not reflect the views of Nikkyivyblog

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7