PARK AND PAY...


Naija sef. Sometimes, I just laugh at this country and we, the citizens. Nigeria is generally known and accepted as a country where “anything goes”, a country where the citizens just sit back and accept any policy thrown at them, a country filled with very Religious people who wait on God to come and do almost everything for them.

I am not saying we should not trust in God. All I am saying is that most of us sleep on our rights a lot all in the name of religion, while some go about killing poor people like them also in the name of religion. Instead of doing things right and getting positive results.

Anyway, I won’t derail. If you are a resident of the FCT, then this is not news to you. In fact it is an old gist. However, like every old wound, the scar still runs deep and sometimes reminds us of the pain. Sometimes, the wound remains fresh and even though it is old, it keeps causing untold pain and hardship.

It was a weekday and like every weekday, I had been working tirelessly. I had forgotten to take my breakfast, so my stomach complained of neglect.  I got the message and decided to take a break. I stepped out of the office and ignoring the heat of the hot sun on my cool skin, I headed for my favourite restaurant. As I strolled towards the restaurant, a dark young man approached me...  Read on...

“Excuse me.”

He smiled down at me. There was something familiar about his face, so I reluctantly stopped.

Do you know where I can find any of these parking ticket agents? I have been waiting for more than five minutes to be issued a ticket but none of them is around.”

Can you imagine? Wetin concern me concern parking ticket agent? Abi I dey wear their uniform? I thought, angry at the dark young man.

“I beg your pardon. Do I look like their boss?”

He laughed out and apologised;

“I’m sorry. I have been asking everybody. I want to pay for the ticket, that’s all. That is my car over there and I guessed that since you work here, you would have an idea about their policy here. Actually I have a meeting in less than five minutes and can’t continue waiting for them to show up.”

 I rolled my eyes in exasperation. Why is he telling me all these nah? Na food I need now and not an annoying man to add to my problems;

“They issue tickets here. Just wait a while they will soon show up.”

I offered and moved past him. The man apologised again and hurriedly entered the building near mine. I went in search of my lunch. I eventually bought a soft drink and some snacks, settled into a window seat and was enjoying my lunch when I saw a ticket agent sneaking towards a car. The dark young man’s car! I was amazed and was trying to understand what was happening when I saw others dressed like him clamping the dark young man's wheel.

Trouble began when the man came out. After all the altercation, he was charged mercilessly.

 I know it has been more than a year since the emergence of these agents, I know I have been lucky, but testimonies abound of how people have been ripped off by these agents who are ever eager to clamp vehicles, of cars towed away without notice and damaged in the process. What amazes me is that everybody, even those who can ask questions and make policies to put an end to this daylight robbery just quietly share their tale of woes and do NOTHING. 

I don’t have a problem with the FCTA’s plan to make FCT a modern and safe city. Its a lovely idea! I just can’t figure out: 

  • Why these agents would hide when a car owner wants to pay for a ticket only to sneak out later to clamp the wheel?
  • Are these agents more concerned with clamping the wheel of cars than with issuing tickets?
  • Why would the FCTA not provide car parks or ports for the residents of this town? Please if you have seen any government owned car park within the city please inform me.
  • Is it not wise and better for car parks to be provided at each district and for residents to pay a subsidized fee for parking their cars within?
  • Are these parking ticket agents even Lawful ?
  • What is the FCT doing with the revenue generated by these agents?

As I leave you with these questions, I will also advise you to be vigilant and law abiding citizens. Enjoy your weekend!





Comments

  1. Quiet unfortunate and criminal. I think our human right lawyers/activists should stop being passive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its like this is a national problem cos almost every State has the same problem. Enugu have gone from clamping illegal parking to chasing cars just to clamp it; Onitsha patrol to clamp even spoilt vehicles. I believe they are just doing marketing; the agents are given targets. I think every agency operating such offices should be properly screened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looool @ Chasing cars to clamp... Una no go kill me with laff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like d 1st person said, it is very unfortunate. The annoying thing is that d agents who issue out tickets have targets and they feel that issuing out tickets in the normal way would not generate enough funds to meet their targets at the end of the month. Information received is that they are paid according to their monthly generated funds. I think the decision makers in FCT should look into ds issue but u knw naija naaa, if e never affect them (decision makers) dem no send d masses.

    I have also heard stories wr d military beat dz agents mercilessly due to ds issue of hiding wen someone needs to pay and they eventually come out wen d person has left to clamp the tyres.

    Well dear it is not a funny situation wen u r d one affected, it can b extremely frustrating. The only advise I would give, pending wen FCT decision makers act on dz raised concerns, is for people 2 buy the parking cards and always top it up anytime they see d useless agents to avoid dz problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which government are you referring to? Can a blind lead a blind? Do not answer No, because it is possible in banana republic like Nija. Tifikwa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Human Right Activists and Lawyers have bn screaming at the top of their voices, but these highly placed goverment officials have refused to listen.

    They are stealing from us,Its very unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear, in developed countries they have ticket machines that motorists pay to and collect their ticket but will our people learn from that 'NO'.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Comment.
Click on the Subscription button to get more stories.

NB: Any comment that is not by Nikkyivyblog is the exclusive opinion of the Reader who commented and does not reflect the views of Nikkyivyblog

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7