HOUSE OF GOD



Something has been bothering me. It has been on my mind for too long and it’s all because I have noticed that people have ceased to set their priorities right.

 Sometime last year, I decided to take a walk in a park near my home. Over the years, I have seen people jogging, taking walks and even walking their dogs in that park but for reasons best known to me, I had managed to keep my distance. Well, that day, I decided to break my rules and take a walk in the park.

After walking around for a while, I found a nice spot with a good view under a tree to rest my long legs. The park was not crowded on that day and so suited my mood. I was appreciating nature and the gentle breeze caressing my skin when three young ladies claimed the spot next to me. I looked over at them and fell in love with their flattering knee- length garden dresses and gorgeous accessories. They looked so alive. They smiled at me; I waved at them and continued with my admiration of nature and the little kids playing hide and seek across from me...

“I heard there are a lot of single guys over there!”

One of the girls said on a laugh and caught my attention. Single guys? I refocused.   

“Sis Emilia got married the moment she joined that church. Why do you think I changed my place of worship? Plus I also get to dress down!” 

Their conversation reminded me of a place I used to worship. Young men in search of well to do ladies and ladies in search of husbands traveled from their various locations just to come for that particular service. It became a hallowed ground for desperate young people.Of course, many got married; many lost their husbands or wives while many more got duped and heart broken. In fact the Priest had to walk a lady out of Sunday service because of her revealing and clinging dress. The incessant complaints by dedicated members resulted in the setting down of stringent rules by the church council and today people worship in peace

Before you jump to conclusions, let me clearly point out that I am a strong advocate of Christian men and women meeting in church and developing healthy relationships. What I find displeasing is when young people forget that it is Sunday Service and not a party, when they go to church to ensnare people into relationships  Instead of getting a better relationship with God .

I am not a priest nor a reverend, but as a Christian I find it very disturbing and distracting when I see young men and women come to church almost naked just because they want to make a statement, when I see married men lusting after scantily dressed ladies, when I see young, desperate single men making passes at married women and rich single ladies, when I  see people reading the daily news paper, when I see people exchanging numbers or pins and even pinging DURING SERVICE. Wetin you go do after service?

Did I hear you ask; "does it matter?" Well, if what we wear or do in church does not count, then why is it considered a HOLY PLACE OF WORSHIP? If you are guilty of any of the above mentioned offenses or have been involved in worse acts, I enjoin you to ask yourself if you would dress shabbily or indecently to or read the daily News in the course of a meeting with the President or the governor of your state? If you won’t do that in the presence of mere human beings, then why would you insult God in His house?    

My point is that Christians should not forget that the church is; the Body of Christ and any baptized Christian is automatically a member of that Body of Christ. As members of that Body, we should keep in mind that we gather in honor of our Lord Jesus Christ to be encouraged, to mingle as Christians and express our joy and gratefulness through singing, prayers, meditation, hearing and sharing of the word of God.

Comments

  1. Just tell me the church u attend now so that I can come there in person and tell u what has been on my mind... Also my friend wan know the one u used to attend make I, sorry, him go verify hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are beginning to sound like a stalker you this troublemaker... Wake up lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikky, so what happened? Did you later accompany the ladies to that church? Why you dey go park self, that one na oyibo life style now... Infact, I suspect you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikky,yet again, ur on point. I really don't understand the machinations of shabi dressing to a place of worship. Can I really be inveigled into marriage by an almost butt NAKED female??? Its rather Repugnant! Even weddings are NOT spared? Have you seen some wedding gowns?

    ReplyDelete
  5. People do go to church for much more better reasons than this. Anyway different strokes for different folks. Church is where it happens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. People may come to church for various reasons -to hook up with a mate, connection etc. Let them come. Those in church leadership should just pray that they will eventually find God & be changed, despite what brings them at first.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Comment.
Click on the Subscription button to get more stories.

NB: Any comment that is not by Nikkyivyblog is the exclusive opinion of the Reader who commented and does not reflect the views of Nikkyivyblog

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7