My Christmas Secret



A lot has been said about Christmas. As a Christian and a Catholic, I know that Christmas is about God sending His only son to die for our sins and save us all. I know all about the story of the birth of our savior Jesus Christ. I m sure I must have played Mary or a shepherd back in the days.

I do not know how Christmas works for you; I just know that I love the Christmas season! I said “the Christmas Season” and not the Christmas day. I don’t know why, but 25th December usually flies by. For me, the season starts from the 1st day of December. My happy mode gets activated from that day up until the last day of December. It is more than the birth of Christ. 

It is a time to share and love, a time of joy and peace, a time for carols, end of year parties, gifts, vacations, twinkling lights, Christmas trees, back breaking shopping, midnight Mass, a season to show off my culinary skills and of course sashay out in my new Christmas attire yeah yeah I still make Christmas dresses, a season for firecrackers, engagements, weddings, fuel scarcity, hike in the cost of basic commodities and as a Nigerian from the Eastern part of the country; a time to gladly take advantage of the public holidays and travel down to my state to unite with relatives and old friends.

In simple words, My Christmas can be joy filled; anxiety packed; emotional; overwhelming and stressful. But hey, believe it or not, I can gladly say that I have devised a strategy that ensures that I do not lose my magical, happy mode all through the season. 

Experience has taught me that these overwhelming events can make me forget the true meaning of the season. So, in order not to forget that Christmas is a time for a positive personal reflection, a time to welcome Jesus into my life, a time to reach out to the less privileged with gifts and prayers, a time to forgive and let go of the past, a time to attend to my new year resolutions, I never even do that one sef..mscheew!  
I always try to see baby Jesus in everybody I meet during this season. Now that’s my Christmas Secret.  

Comments

  1. Nice one, but IBB and Obj nko lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting read... Hope there's more to come and not a mere one time wonder

    ReplyDelete


  3. With all that I have read in this educative episode there is no doubting the fact that you had a splendid Christmas Season:

    I had my own ODESSEY of Christmas too:

    It all started with N50 worth of postage stamps.

    I was standing next to a lady at the post office. We were both putting stamps on our Christmas cards. I hear her say, oh, I need one more stamp" she was very grateful when I offer her a stamp, and she reached in her purse to pay me. I declined, and she thanked me. A litle while later, she was short yet another stamp. I thought for a minute, and then decided to give her another stamp so she wouldn't have to wait in the long line. She insisted on paying me. I heard myself saying no, just" pay it foreward" we wished each other a merry christmas.

    Off to the home store, where I was looking at a gift for my litle niece; something I knew she needed and would enjoy. It was a litle pricey so I was mentally debating whether to get it. Out of the blue, I turned to see a clerk standing next to me. Where did he come from? I thought. He said "wait a moment" and went into his wallet and handed me a N7000 worth of party ticket! Just like that! Like someone just handed me a N7000 bill in Abuja" Nigeria most expensive city" I thanked him and bought the gift.

    On to the toy store for my nephew present. I was shocked to see how much toys cost these days.wow! I found the perfect toy. He can ride on it! Learn his colours and letters, and it talks! Fun and educational. This toy was perfect and a whopping N12,000. But he's my nephew and ..... Well it's Christmas.

    I'm standing in line and strike up a conversation with a young mother. She was the most beautiful baby boy in her carriage. She looks like a baby herself and told me she has three children. She assures me the toy I have is absolutely perfect. It's my time to check out and she asks the cashier," can she use this card"? The ashier says, do you know each other?" Before I can say anything, she says," oh yes, we are great friends!" So the cashier rings me up and says to the young mother," you will be getting a coupon in the mail." She looks disappointed and says ," I thought she could use it." I said" All is the way it should be, you need it more with three children and I thanked her. When the sale was completed, the toy was marked down N4000! Although it didn't say it was on sale, I got the sale price.

    Alleluia!

    The same day, I was contacted for an employment letter.
    It all started with a N50 worth of postage stamp. I have absolutely no expectations when I can give to someone, non! It doesn't matter the cost of the gift I have learned, it's what the person needs at the time.
    We have heard something like," when we give with a pure heart it will ome back to us a thousand time greater." My favourite all-time verse: " look at the birds of the sky, there do not sow or reap and yet our Heavenly Father feeds them..... Are we not much more important?"
    These are difficult times and we may worry sometimes about whether we have enough, and all the what ifs. Once we give up that notion of fear and just live and help each others, I firmly believe all the rest will fall in place. Give someone something today, a smile, a pat on the back, perhaps a postage stamp. Listen with an open heart.
    NKPABO, DANIEL INAKU

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikky, This is an open secret lol! I so much like Christmas songs, lights, weather, Christmas trees, food, drinks, and oh! my list is endless lol! Nikky, the excitement is simply overwhelming! I like your story and will come back for more secrets lol! I wish you a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this story Dan. Wondering why I never responded ��...guess I was still a learner at replying back then

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Comment.
Click on the Subscription button to get more stories.

NB: Any comment that is not by Nikkyivyblog is the exclusive opinion of the Reader who commented and does not reflect the views of Nikkyivyblog

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7