December to Remember 3

Without as much as an explanation, my application for a short leave of absence which was by the way my first since I got employed at the company, was ditched. I was beyond livid as I my plans crumbled Infront of me. This was the height of oppression but I had nobody to run to with my cry for justice. Swallowing my hurt, I wiped my tears and went back to work.


By the 23rd of December, the managers and their assistants took days off and the mantle of shepherding the food and beverage section fell on me. This meant extra hours and ensuring that the rich big babies (RBB -  my nickname for them) were comfortable in our exotic rooftop bar. I was highly irritable, in a bad mood and was working hard on controlling my temperament when the worst of all the RBB's walked in. 

Yes, I secretly detested the bourgeoisie but my disgust for Seun was on another level. He was the perfect definition of an organically annoying rich kid who loved grinding your face in your poverty while enjoying your pain as if it's a trending HD entertainment. His over bloated, elitist ego would leave anyone feeling he was the son of the wealthiest man in the world. 

Seeing his smug face almost on a daily at the bar and watching the drama of him getting away with maltreating the staff while my boss grovelled and licked his expensive foot wears always left me seething. To make matters worse, the junior staff were eager to ignore his excesses and always tumbled over each other to serve him since he was the owner's favorite and tipped heavily when he was not berating them for failing to meet his unattainable standards. I was never keen on joining that struggle and intentionally avoided crossing his path until that day. 

It was a slow shift and we were all in the Christmas mood. My staff were at their best and my talk of team spirit earlier in the day was working like magic on them. I was busy going through a list when I heard the sound. It reverberated through the bar, followed by gasps and a graveyard silence. The slow music on the stereo was not affected by the sound of the slap on my best staff's face. The young man cowered backwards as my fiery eyes took in the scene. The strength of the slap would have sent any of my tiny waitresses tumbling down from the elevated VVIP section and my cheeks tingled as if I had been hit. Before I knew what was happening, I was standing in front of Seun like a Mother hen whose chick was attacked...

NEXT


More

Christmas: Reasons to be Merry 

Politicking: 2023 Naija Elections

Blood on the streets

HushPuppies in High Places


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7