You’re His Girlfriend, Not His Wife. These 4 Things Won’t Get You a Ring?

This week, I am looking out for my single and married sisters, so guys kindly chill for us. This article took the words right out of my mouth. Enjoy...



I packed his lunch. I got up early before my workday started to drive to his apartment, pick him up and drop him off at the office. I rearranged my schedule to make sure I could take him home. I picked up his favorite snacks when we had movie night. I used my credit card to pay for his shopping sprees and loaned him my car when he wanted to take an overnight trip to see his family.

The pain of discovering he was cheating on me was magnified when I realized our whole relationship consisted of me acting like his wife—when he hadn’t even treated me like his girlfriend yet.

Of course, I’ve moved on from that relationship and have found better for myself. I’m now happily married to the man of my dreams.

Yet, now as a wife, wiser woman and dating coach, I’ve worked with plenty of women who still hold my old mentality. These women believe they need to act like a wife, so a man can see them as marriage material. I now know this truism couldn’t be further from the truth.

If you’re doing these four things in your relationship, you may be bestowing wife privileges to someone who doesn’t even treat you like a girlfriend. And as a result, you could be sabotaging your chances for marriage.

1.     Playing House

You cook his favorite meals every night, fix his plate and bring it to him while he’s watching the game. You clean his house, pick up his suits from the cleaners, run his errands and basically take care of his every need before he even asks. He gives you a key to his apartment because you practically live there.
Maybe you’ve been listening to the (bad) advice that a woman’s worth is related to her ability to keep a home and that a man won’t marry her if she can’t cook or clean. Or perhaps you’re just a traditional sister who embraces traditional gender roles. No matter how you got here, playing Suzy Homemaker isn’t going to convince him to marry you. You want a man to choose you because of who you are not because of what you do for him.
                                                                                                                          credit: www..thisisyourconscience.com

2.                 Putting His Needs First

You’re a vegetarian, but he likes surf and turf, so you always go to his favorite restaurant for date night. You need to study in order to pass your comprehensive exams, but he says he really wants you to come over and hang out. You want to go with your girls for a special outing, but he says he wants you to be available when he gets off work.

While healthy relationships require compromise from both individuals, you shouldn’t have to sacrifice what you need to be healthy and happy just to please him. Furthermore, if he is marriage material, he will want the best for you and will take greater care not to put you in predicaments where you’re forced to choose between his needs and yours.

3.                  Sleeping With Him

I remember running into a woman at the bookstore who was browsing the shelves, looking for dating advice. She told me she believed unless she slept with her man, he wouldn’t want to commit to her, much less marry her.

Sadly, you hear this kind of advice everywhere you turn. Some people think you have to “test drive” your partner to make sure the sex will be good, otherwise you could end up trapped in a bad marriage. Others act like sex has magical powers that can convince a man to get down on one knee and pop the question.

Sex may make you lovable for a moment, but if you want to be married for a lifetime, you need a man to commit to you because he loves honors and cherishes you.

4.                 Giving Him Money

Sisters fall into this trap one sad story at a time. First it’s a cell phone bill. Then it’s a “family emergency.” The next thing you know, you’re paying for his vacations, supporting his kids and buying him a car. If you’re trying to help him manage his finances, you’ve stepped over into a co-dependent relationship. You give him money in exchange for him giving you a false hope that your relationship will go to the next level.

If you aren’t sharing responsibilities, you are not obligated to share your finances with him.


Girl, playing house is for kids. Grown folks will set clear boundaries in their relationships, which carry over into their marriages. You shouldn’t have to take care of his house, his body or his money to convince him to marry you. You are his girlfriend, not his wife. Act like it.

Culled from - BMWK

Comments

  1. I am guilty of 3 and 4. The usual advice from my girls and all is ïf i dont give him the sugar some other babe will"

    Thank you for this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you read through. He needs to cherish you for who you are...thank you for reading

      Delete
  2. A man knows the woman he wants to marry. If u like turn chef or his new mama, when he is ready, he will ditch u

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or...u could decide not to give a helping hand once in a while when ur man needs it. What does that make u?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you love ur man u will help him when he needs it, marriage is not a catch in love. It has to come natural

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother marriage is a catch for me because I want to build a relationship with a wiman who wants to carry my baby and wants to marry me. I don't have time for chasing many girls. I like a woman who knows wat she wants, most of these gals want to chop my money for free. My woman moved in with me last year and we help each other with anything. If she does everything I want when i want it, then something is wrong with her. She must have her own mind and can handle things when I travel out.Love is about respect and knowing what you want

      Delete
  5. I won't marry someone that puts marriage first before giving a much needed assistance. That is not love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? Naija men will never change. Much needed help my backside. It's ok for a man to expect his girl to be his househelp and mum but she should not expect anything. Na blind date u dey do?
      What is wrong with a girl expecting a ring or proposal from her man? If u are not thinking of getting married to her then don't expect any marital favors or sex. The two people who are involved should know the purpose of their relationship.
      A mature man who is inlove with his woman should want to share his life with her, simple

      Delete
    2. Ike Uchenna and Rita, I appreciate your comments. Different strokes for different folks. just read and apply Whatever works for your relationship.

      Delete
  6. Truth is that almost every girl who has been dating a guy for some months starts expecting the ring from him or to meet his people. I think this post is to warn ladies that most men are out to play or deceive them all because women are maternal in nature. these men who know they will never settle with these girls deceive them into parting with every thing from their bodies to their money. I also think that Two people who are truly and genuinely in love will be ready to assist each other without any expectations. So if you are in a relationship please give what you are comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post sis, I think the 5th point is crying for him always. .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crying for him always? Lol! That's certainly a NO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard crying strengthens things, so feel free to whatever when u feel like it. After all its better to have loved and lost then not to love at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crying strengthens things? That is a new one. Different strokes for different folks i guess. Thank You Ike

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Comment.
Click on the Subscription button to get more stories.

NB: Any comment that is not by Nikkyivyblog is the exclusive opinion of the Reader who commented and does not reflect the views of Nikkyivyblog

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7