Afloat Season 3 E. 12
There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law and in the name of justice
- Montesquieu
_______________________
Ituron community-
Who would have guessed that the mysterious stranger in Maurice's home was his long-lost blood uncle?
Why did he decide to come back now? Eric thought as suspicion crept into his mind. Though his head told him Uncle Ambrose had always been a sincere man and should not be doubted, his gut still had reservations—and over the years, he had learned never to ignore it.
"I think your long absence made my men assume you were a stranger," Eric explained carefully.
"A stranger? But I am a son of the soil." Ambrose exclaimed with a loud laugh.
Subduing his emotions, he faced Maurice's uncle. "I am sorry for the way we treated you and ...well, although I would like to continue our discussion..."
"Duty calls," Ambrose finished for him. "I understand. It's alright. Feel free to visit anytime."
"Uncle! Eric is a big man now and can stamp into anybody's home whenever he likes. He doesn't need an invitation!" Maurice taunted.
Eric glared at him briefly then whirled around and stalked out of the house into the night. His men rushed after him.
Just then a low monotone sounded and Maurice picked up his phone from the floor next to his chair. He squinted at the small screen, his eyes widening the moment the caller ID registered. Without hesitation, he answered.
"Hello! Yes I can hear you...how far?"
"Maurice, there's a problem oh! The girl..."
Stanley's voice seemed to awaken Maurice's low spirit. He met his uncle's inquiring gaze and immediately turned away.
"Hello? I can't hear you! Hello! Hello!"
Maurice yelled into the phone while walking briskly toward his bedroom. At the same time, his quivering thumb pressed hard on the volume button to turn down the audio. The moment he closed the door behind him, he raised the volume again;
"What were you saying? Hello, Stan!"
His wife sat up in bed and stared at him with mixed feelings.
"Hello Maurice! That bird is... is dead."
Maurice's face beamed and he sighed with relief.
Finally! People would call him Maurice the millionaire!
The thought of the bank alerts he would receive by daylight made his hands tremble. Suddenly, he remembered they had said they would pay in cash. Whether cash or alert, he would finally join the few millionaires in their community. Maurice suddenly felt like dancing.
"So the delivery was successful!" He laughed boisterously.
Silence followed, and Maurice sat next to his wife on the bed.
"Oga Maurice, the delivery failed oh. Our little bird died b- before I could deliver."
"What?" Maurice sprang up from the bed. His heartbeat quickened as he listened to Stanley's agitated voice, "Stanley, wetin you dey yarn? What are you talking about? Who died?"
"The girl! I-I don't know how she cut the rope ...before I knew what was happening she ran off...it was so dark, I-I tried to catch her...I really tried, but..."
Maurice staggered forward and leaned against the wall. This must be a joke; his dazed mind reasoned
"But, but what?" He queried unable to subdue the sudden surge of impatience and fear consuming him.
"She was so fast. I don't know why she ran into the flowing river...I swear I tried to save her but the current almost drowned me..."
Maurice felt his world shattering before his eyes.
Dapper drowned? How did this happen? His millions! His heavy alert gone? The repairs to the house were yet to be paid for...how would he pay the men?
Questions raced through Maurices bemused mind as his knees buckled and he slowly slid down the wall of his room. His whole body hurt, but the sudden crushing pain in his chest was the worst.
"My husband!" His wife called out, alarmed as she struggled to get off the soft bed.
"Oga Maurice are you there?" Stanley's voice in his ear pulled him back to reality.
Maurice nodded as if they were standing face-to-face. He managed to mumble a a faint "yes."
"They said you must deliver another bird within twenty-four hours or they will come for you..."
The phone slipped from his grip, and Stanley's voice faded. Maurice clutched the front of his shirt with jellylike fingers as cold sweat ran down his back and the squeezing pain in his chest intensified. He let out an unrestrained squeal and collapsed onto his side.
Also Read:

Dapper died? WTF!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading
ReplyDelete