Love... Hate

You are just good at pretending."

I looked up and met his critical gaze. He dropped his cutlery, folded his plump arms across his chest and in the process rumpled the paper napkin he had tucked into his collar.

"Everyone wants it. I want it almost all the time so how can you say you don't crave it? That my dear is a bloated lie from the pit of hell!" He finished with a snort.

His voice was loud and attracted curious stares from other diners at the roof top lounge. The soft music playing from the concealed speakers was perfect for my troubled thoughts. The thick pellucid glass shielding guests from the weather dulled the noise of the bubbly city. A city that never sleeps.

"Hey! I am talking to you! Say the words."

It was my birthday and we were at the best restaurant in town. The bill was on me, the meal was appetizing and I could not wait to give the luscious dessert sitting beside my plate my undivided attention. I had wanted a quiet celebration with him after the loud surprise party from friends and colleagues. It was supposed to be a romantic getaway which was supposed to end with us making magic and sleeping off in each others arms satiated and happy. That was the plan, but nothing I did ever pleased him. He was determined to ruin everything with his usual obnoxious attitude. Old habits indeed die hard.

Gently placing my cutlery down, I chewed the tender ram rib with utmost care while trying to ignore the turbulence brewing right in front of me.

"Why are you like this?" His voice was deep and I knew he was ready to blow over. His empty plates rattled as he shifted them aside before resting his elbows on the table; 

"Why must I convince you to do me this little favor? What makes you think you are special? I am rich and can afford to get anyone to do what I want! I don't have to beg you! I have been away for three months right from the time we started this wretched relationship and instead of you being all over me with desire we are here wasting the rest of the day over a blasted meal! Get off your high horse!"

I lack words to explain the exasperation I felt at that moment. I sighed with disappointment, gulped down a mouth full of water and mechanically resumed dicing the ribs into small portions.

"I didn't know you were totally miserable with me! Anyway, do me a favor, kindly fulfill a promise for once and take that walk." I retorted in a surprisingly calm voice. 

This overbearing, boring, highly critical and narcissistic man was not part of my expectations. It was the first time we were spending a whole day together and I was already fed up with his serial mood swings and tantrums.

But my mind was made up; nothing would ruin my special day not even this man I regret sharing a meal with.

"I should go ahead? Did you just say I should go? Say the words baby. Tell me to give it to another person... say the words and watch them gals run you out!"

He was snarling and I watched tiny droplets of spittle escape his lips as he continued his show of shame or what he called "being the man in the relationship."

Unperturbed by his rants, I slowly reached out and moved my plate away from the direction of his mouth. The murmuring from the other guests were becoming louder and I knew it was time to put a leash on my puppy who was obviously not good at acting the dragon. It was time to be firm.

"Listen Tony;" I leaned in and fixed my steady glare on his frowning face. My voice dripped of acid and I saw the suppressed wink as he waited for my words; 

"You don't scare me, you are too chubby to be scary so drop the drama. I will not apologize for not abandoning my friends and the birthday party they went through a lot to organize for me. I respect you, but I refuse to jump just because you said so. Baby you need to up your game. I don't know where you grew up but where I am from, men treat their ladies right. With this attitude, I will never yearn for you. I will never want you to touch me and thoughts of us sharing intimate moments will definitely never cross my mind."

I sat back and watched him fight to subdue his temper;

"If you do not know how to be a gentleman, I will suggest you quietly get your bulk off my dinner table and stop ruining the taste of my meal with your spittle!"  

"CUT CUT!"  

We turned swiftly towards the loud voice. I shielded my eyes from the fierce lights and saw the movie director waving frantically.

"Here we go again!" I moaned and forcefully dropped my script on the table. Paulo who was playing Tony started laughing .


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7