WHO ARE THEY?


bellanaija.com

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

At the sound of their arrival, I rushed out with my dustbin and was met by a smiling young man. He greeted me amiably before taking the bin from me. I watched him hand it over to another young man who dumped the contents inside the big truck. Handing my bin over to me, they waved briefly and headed off towards the next compound. That was when the stench hit me.
 Covering my face, I ran back into my compound but the pungent odor pursued me closely. I ran inside, slammed the door behind me, hurriedly shut my windows and increased the speed of the fan. The stench from that truck is best imagined.

I wondered how those young men could survive days and months behind that truck! Why do they work without gloves and boots unlike their counterparts in Europe and other countries?  Are they even adequately paid for the services they render?

If you are living within the FCT, I am sure you must have noticed these garbage trucks and their occupants. Their major duty is to maintain and keep the FCT clean and habitable for us. Most times, we only notice that they have failed in their duty when the garbage in front our various homes and offices go unpacked for days.

I am sure that you must have also noticed these young men ride behind these very unhygienic and smelly trucks without gloves or masks, dressed in worn out uniforms and in regular worn out shoes. What baffles me is that the pungent and agonizing odor from these environmental trucks, linger in the air so many minutes after they had passed. Is it that they are never washed? How do these waste collectors cope with the flies and the filth?

This is not a story, but an accolade to young men and women who play very vital roles in the maintenance of our environment. In my opinion, they deserve the best salaries and insurance policies from the government and private organizations for their excellent services. Their dedication should be rewarded adequately and not over looked.

However, just as they risk their lives in their bid to ensure that we have a clean and healthy environment, they should be provided with the best kit for the job and these garbage trucks should be thoroughly maintained and sanitized so as to protect the collectors and the citizens from diseases.   

Comments

  1. Saw them this morning. Those guys de try. I no fit do that job for....okay, for 5 billion i fit consider am

    ReplyDelete
  2. The famous "Aso rock" toilet smell...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that those in charge of waste disposal in the FCT are aware of these lapses but they will never do anything about it because of the usual Nigeria factor

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister, I wonder if they get ill. Maybe they are immune to the odor and diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is Niaja for you! The pollution is enough to kill someone. Maybe, we will see positive changes now that you published it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Comment.
Click on the Subscription button to get more stories.

NB: Any comment that is not by Nikkyivyblog is the exclusive opinion of the Reader who commented and does not reflect the views of Nikkyivyblog

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7