TIME TO SHOP RITE


It had taken me close to thirty minutes to find a parking space and the crowd of people trooping into this mall I have heard a lot about; made me conclude that since it was a festive season, there would definitely be a live show by my best musician; 2Face or even a crusade by a popular Reverend.

Curiosity boosted my steps and the thought of a live show made my heart beat to accelerate slightly. Eagerly, I stepped into the
popular massive shop that had replaced the park that I had grown up to know and love, only to see more people headed in one direction. No band was playing; no DJ was spinning his wheels. I was disappointed.

Sadly, but still curious, I joined the crowd and stepped into a beautiful, ultra modern shopping mall. The goods seemed to be calling out to me. Gosh, I was tempted to buy that tasty chocolate bar. The decor and arrangement of the interior was awesome and breathtaking. It was simply gorgeous and cheap. I was still lost in admiration when a man with a cart filled with drinks and canned food nearly ran me over. He apologized and headed for one of the counters. That was when I noticed the very long queue of people waiting to make payments and another longer queue of people waiting to buy loaves of bread!

What actually caught my attention was the content of their carts and baskets. Most of them had them filled with canned foods, assorted biscuits, drinks, ice cream and junks. All manufactured outside the country. “Wetin Naija de manufacture sef?”

Please don’t get me wrong. I buy and use foreign products. In fact, the way these products are packaged would make anybody fall in love with and go for them. My grouse is with the medical effect of these beautifully packaged beverages.I’m sure you are wondering; “Is Nikky also a Doctor?” Gladly, I say; “I am not.”  

As I watched the crowd stocking their carts with these products, so many questions raced through my head; 
what effects do these beverages preserved with chemicals we know nothing about, have on the human body? 
Are they messing with my hormones? 
Are they the cause of my friend’s regular trip to the dentist? 
How am I sure that they are not the cause of my weight gain and the popular love handles I have been sweating so hard to get rid of. 
What of these young people who consume outrageous quantities of brewed alcoholic drinks? What is their faith? Are their children safe?

I was privileged to see my grandparents. My granddad and his generation never ate canned foods and none of them suffered from cancer, cardiac arrest or low sex drive.

Life is a continuous struggle and I must overcome this desire to shop at the wrong shops. It is not easy to quit a negative inclination, but it is time for me to start shopping right. As I stepped out of that massive shop with adorable wares reaching out to my purse and my heart, I decided to start eating healthy. As much as I detest vegetables and fruits, it is time for me to stay away from temptation and save my generation and I from damage and disaster.

Comments

  1. It was really a shopping research. The methodology is what I'm still trying ti find out.
    I can boast of providing an answer for one of your research questions." Wetin Naija the manufacture sef?" We dey manufacture garri. Remember garri doesn't have an advert but it sells more than endomie in.
    May be when next you want to embark on such trip, you will inform me let me take you to my village market, where you can shop for natural things like; undiluted palmy, locust beans ponded yam with Okro soup etc
    Happy new year
    BIG DAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Nikky, come to think of it, the problems we face and frequent visits to the hospital these days may be as a result of these canned and processed foods. Previously, I only eat our local foods, I use to drink Akamu with akara for breakfast,pounded yam as lunch and Akidi mixed with yam for my dinner I was never sick oh! but you need to see me now(frowns) Infant, I will emulate you and shop rite! Thanks for this wonderful article and may God bless you =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come join me shop at Ogbete main Market, U hear?. There are many varieties of fresh vegetables and fruits. You can even bargain lol!
    No mind them for shop rite, the crowd you saw one form Ajebo for poison oyibo food lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Joy
    May be Nikky no get money for Shop rite lol! Abi, Nikky I lie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous 12:10 loool... No be small New year owu... Oya put ur account details sharp sharp make I bind and cast on am

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Odinaka Nice!I luv your face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people take pleasure in eating junk food later you will see them jumping like frog in the street. May God have mercy on them...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Comment.
Click on the Subscription button to get more stories.

NB: Any comment that is not by Nikkyivyblog is the exclusive opinion of the Reader who commented and does not reflect the views of Nikkyivyblog

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7