Afloat E.5


"Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are"

Chinese Proverb

**********

She let out a low scream and scrambled up while attempting to cover her exposed skin with shaky hands. She was a mess and I had never seen her as disoriented as she was at that moment. She spurn away from the direction of the door, not once looking at me. Brad acting the gentleman stepped in front of her, obviously trying to shield her almost nude state from whoever had entered the room. He mustered some courage and looked in my direction. I could see relief wash over him as his eyes met mine. I fought the overwhelming feeling of disgust rushing through me as they toppled down the pedestal I had placed them on.

“You asked for me... Sir?”

My tone gave away my disgust. Never expect me to conceal my emotion when you are being a fool, it never works out; now you know.


“Ehmm yes yes. Ah can you give us a minute please. Thank you.” He stuttered, still shaken by my sudden appearance and discovery of their folly.

Will a minute be enough? I wanted to ask but held my tongue and stepped outside. How did I miss this all along? The antagonism whenever Irene took the floor, it was sheer feminine jealousy. I watched through a crack on the door as they rearrange their clothing and Brad helped pat Mabel’s hair into place.

Now we know how dear Brad managed to convince our Queen to join bodies... forces rather, with him. How long had this been going on? But Mabel always doted on the chairman and everyone in the community knew him to be crazy about her. It was no secret that he would go extra lengths just to satisfy her needs. For the love of me, a monument was currently being erected at the central square to mark her achievements which our Chairman claimed had shot our community into the limelight. Their marriage was rumoured to be perfect or should I say they made us all believe they were the perfect couple. I believe it was the latter because if things were all rosy, she would not be cheating on her husband with Brad who also had a wife. Unless Brad was in the picture before the Chairman and had refused to give up on his claims. I was confused as myriad questions raced through my piqued mind. I pulled out my phone to send my brother a quick chat about my latest discovery, when the door opened.

Resisting the urge to glance at my wrist watch, I watched Mabel breeze past me, head held high and not a glance in my direction. My eyes trailed down her figure; nothing seemed to be amiss and I was still invisible. Smiling to myself, I walked back into the room. Brad was busy packing up his equipment...the music equipment rather. I briskly walked over and he turned to smile sweetly at me for the first time since I joined the troupe. I am finally visible to someone; interesting, I must confess.

“Miss Dapper!” He sounded excited like we were old friends; “Sorry for keeping you waiting. Yes, I wanted thon form you that we would be picking up the costumes together. I hope you don’t mind?”

Wait, what? This must be a joke, I thought with indignation. Mabel must have hit his head too hard against the wall during their spell because there was no way I was going anywhere nor picking costumes or anything with the man

“I think you are confusing me with someone else sir. I am not in the logistics unit. I am the newest choreographer not the costume person.”

“I know who you are.” He took a step in my direction.

“Sir it’s late and I should be home by now...”

“I must apologise for the short notice. Mrs Mabel has an emergency and the other girls are...well...not bright enough. So that leaves you. Besides someone mentioned that you have keen eyes for apparels, am I right?”

Emergency indeed, I thought and snickered before I could stop myself.

“What’s funny?” His eyes glinted as if we were sharing a friendly joke. I wiped the smile off my face. I was not about to start getting giggly with a man who probably had his tongue down most of the female throats in the troupe.

“I understand sir and I don’t know who mentioned what to you but...”

“Consider this as the end of your probation period and your first sacrifice as a member of the troupe. We all have to make one or two minor sacrifices and I have a confession.." he interjected.

Before I could utter a word, he continued almost immediately;

"Sincerely, I have no idea whatsoever about costumes and I might end up messing everything up. There's nothing like a woman's touch and professional opinion which is why I am pleading. Don’t say no, okay.”

Did he just say that my six month long probation just ended in two weeks? My heart thumped with joy as my protest withered and died slowly with his compelling comment.

“How long will this take because I really need to be home before 8pm? I am actually famished.” I conceded.

“Thank you so much. It’s just down the road. Come along.”

Picking up his keys, he headed out of the rehearsal room. The moment I stepped out, he turned off the lights and locked the door. I followed his movements with my eyes and that was when I saw Brad in the eyes of all the drooling girls in the troupe for the first time.

 

NEXT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7