RIPPLES E. 8


The dreadfully creepy ringtone rang out again and this time Bam Bam hurriedly answered; 

"You're here? Good. Yeah you can come over and with the umbrella, don't forget."

She called the Police? Kene cursed his luck yet again that evening. Of all the cars in Abuja why did I have to drive into the Ice Queen's car? Just a small bumper and she has called the police. What am I going to do now? With my account in red I can't even afford anything. I won't go to jail for this oh, God please you need to help me

For the first time in his life Kene felt helpless and alone. There was no one to run to for assistance. Nobody to get him out of the fix Probably it was time to come clean with the woman.

"The rain has stopped, for the mean time, so you won't be needing one."

Kene commented while leaning forward to squint at the dark skies.

"I was on the phone."

"I know." Kene kept his gaze ahead, refusing to meet her eyes. Clearing his throat, he continued;

"I need to say that I am sorry for damaging your car and...also for ruining both our evenings. Although an apology can never fix your car, I still want you to know that I am truly sorry. It was unintentional. On the fixing part - I mean your car, I don't know how much it will cost but I will give you my email address so, feel free to send the bill and if - what I'm trying to say is that I will appreciate it if you can give me till the end of the month I promise I will get it fixed."

What is Caveman talking about? BamBam asked herself, yet again questioning his mental state. What will do with his Email? What Bill...and did he just say;

"End of the month? Are you kidding me?"

Her tone made Kene turn to meet her unwavering gaze.

"The month will end next week. Actually there's this payment I am expecting, I promise not to disappear..."

"So you're saying I should drive my car around for a week or more with your rope attached to the bumper like an effigy? The whole week?" 

Bam Bam tried to hold back the laughter that was threatening to spill out of her lips. Caveman was obviously remorseful but the idea of driving around with the rope holding up her car bumper was indeed comical. She could not believe he just told her to wait till the end of the month before he could fix a car bumper? Life must really be hard for him and she could sense something else; fear. She could feel it oozing out from him despite his effort to conceal it. 

Why was Caveman suddenly afraid? She knew she probably overreacted when she saw the damage but it had nothing to do with the car. Missing her appointment and getting stuck at one spot with a total stranger who looked like he would harm her was what she found displeasing and unbearable. Her car was fully insured and the minor damage would be taken care of. 

She wanted to allay his fears but on a second thought Bam Bam held back. She found it amusing that he was suddenly speechless and nervous. What happened to her blunt and daring Caveman? 

Your caveman? He is now your caveman? A part of her taunted. I meant the Caveman; she argued with herself.

Kene sighed and sat back. The woman had a way of making him feel stupid and subdued, he thought with consternation. He just apologized and all she could pick out was the month end issue. The utter disgust dripping from her words was not lost on Kene. The woman lacked emotions, she must be so cold inside that her heart is frozen, he concluded.

"I wish I can make them pay sooner...better still I can paint the rope so it won't be conspicuous..."

"Paint what? Forget it. I will never agree to that ludicrous plan... About disappearing, trust me, you are going nowhere."

A sharp rap on her window made her unlock the doors. Pushing her door open she smiled up at someone and got out of the car.

NEXT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7