Surprise II

(Credit: Video Blocks)
Want to catch up? Click on  Surprise 

He ushered us into a magnificent conference room with various high back, black swivel chairs surrounding a long, tempered glass rectangular table.  A single white executive leather swivel chair  at the head of the table caught my attention. All the lights came on automatically the moment we stepped in.

This must be where Andrew Mark, the CEO of Mark & Sable (M&S) made landmark decisions with his revered board I thought as my excitement mounted. M&S was the only indigenous software company making waves globally and Andrew was the brain behind one of the most sort after video games topping the local and international markets. The man was my icon and I had tried severally but failed to get a chance to share my ideas with him on ways to upgrade their softwares which was why I was pushing for this campaign. If gathering online reviews and getting frustrated users to actually show up and physically express their displeasure was my best chance of meeting and interacting with the legend in person then nothing was going to stop me.

The chairs around the massive table were more than enough for us all, I noted absently as my crowd made themselves comfortable while some stood in small groups. Their voices filled the cool air as they continued their intense discussion of the crisis situation. I was already tired of analyzing probable reasons for the software failure of the latest M&S video game consoles. As an ardent follower and tech guru, I was disappointed with their team's dwindling creativity and the firewalls the organization had been raising ever since I tried reaching out to them had stretched my patience beyond it's limit. 

I walked off towards the large windows overlooking the busy street and swore not to leave that office without seeing the country director. Nothing would stop me from ensuring that Andrews image wasn't tarnished. They must produce the director or manager even if it meant setting up camp here. Such negligence needed to be nipped in the bud before it ruined years of hard work. Just then the door buzzed open and a figure already engrained in my memory sashayed in.

It suddenly felt like someone switched off the oxygen in the room. Her back view from earlier was attractive but you know what they say about seeing the whole picture. As she slowly made her way to the only white swivel chair at the head of the table, her dark skin seemed to be glowing in the light and my eyes clung to her swaying body.  My heart rate slowed down and time stood still at that moment.

"Settle down please." 

A raspy voice pierced through my foggy thoughts and dragged me back to reality, it belonged to the man with her. At that moment it felt like something was lodged in my throat and I started coughing. All eyes turned on me but her eyes, for reasons beyond me, made my heart rate to pick up pace. I suddenly felt like a teenager smitten for the first time. 

What is wrong with me? She is not even the most beautiful woman I had seen so why am I getting emotionally worked up? Get a grip man!!

Slightly angry at myself, I hastily moved off to get a drink from the water dispenser. A sip and the stupid cough stopped. Who is she and why is she here? Is she one of the agitators? How come I never noticed her before? If she is with my group there is no way I would have failed to see her during the gatherings.

 I watched as the man whispered in her ear and surprisingly, I felt my anger rising. I resisted crushing the disposable cup in my grip as I watched her smiling face. 

What game is this? I just want to see Andrew and getting distracted by this woman who enjoyed flirting with every man near her is not part of the plan. 

As if sensing my thoughts, she looked up and all my anger slowly dissipated the moment our eyes met.  

"Sir, please be seated so we can start"  that raspy voice intruded again. The man needed to shut up, I thought pissed off.

I stared at the only vacant chair but did not take a step towards it. I like my spot from this side of the room. It feels awkward being the only person standing but somehow I don't care. Leaning against the wall, I glared at the man as if challenging him to come and move me. He caught on and clearing his throat he refocused on the woman. 

My eyes drifted back to her as if they were created just to watch her. At that moment two things became obvious to me; one, I was strongly attracted to the mysterious woman and two, I definitely needed a stronger drink if she was going to be in the same room with us. Dragging my eyes off her I looked around for a bar or any drink at all. Not finding any, I sighed deeply and gulped down a mouthful of the cold water. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7