FEBRUARY 14 2015: NIGERIA- POLLS OR WAR?

 
I have been avoiding this topic. In fact I had intentionally ignored everything and anything that would make me discuss this issue until recent events made me lose my cool.

It was supposed to be an outing with friends and colleagues, but we ended up shooting and stabbing each other.


“What happened to the PDP Zoning formula? Christians have had their time, it’s now time for Muslims to run the affairs of this nation!” 

Musa yelled unrestrained. I could feel his passion as he tried to convince anyone who cared to listen to vote for his candidate...

A loud bang almost startled me out of my skin. The plates and bottles on our fragile metallic table quaked and teetered precariously. My quick fingers grabbed and rescued the bottle I was drinking from. 

I turned in time to notice that all eyes were on us and opened my mouth to calm the obviously angry young man sitting beside me but his bellowing voice drowned out my words. The rage running through his body was palpable;

“Is Sambo not a Muslim? We need continuity in this country and this has nothing to do with Religion. Besides no be your Muslim brothers dey rule Naija since independence? Your people are just being selfish!” 

Musa sprang to his feet, fists tightly clenched. I glared up at the raging men who were friends only a while ago and became fed up with the whole election saga.  Without uttering a word, I slowly stood up and called for my bill.

Are we preparing for an Election or a Battle? Are we voting for Individuals or Political Parties? Why must every Presidential Election lead to an Exodus of our citizens back to their home states? Why must we allow power hungry Politicians to use us as instruments of destruction? Why are we ignorant and quick to draw blood?  Why do we want to make our children orphans, why must we organize mass burials instead of concerts? Why would our Politicians allow their lust for power blind them to the reality of the problems facing our nation?  

Why have we failed to learn from the past and the three days of rioting which ensued in 2011after the Victory of the ruling party during which many Nigerians were killed while many more became refugees in a country they call their nation. Will February 14, 2015 be different or will the Prediction of our fragmentation become a reality? Can we ever be able to boast that the polls were Free, Fair and Credible? Will the United States denial of entry visa to any Nigerian politician responsible for fueling violence during the February elections douse our Politicians overwhelming desire to foment violence once they are denied power?

In truth, Nigerians are tired of being deceived, assaulted, raped, battered and brutalized all in the name of Politics. As these litany of questions ran through my mind, I concluded that we cannot continue like this.

Photo Credit: Sahara reporters

Comments

  1. Well, it's definitely going to be same story all over again. If the so-called elites react to issues or observations they deem to undermine their stance in such ways as depicted in the media, one can only imagine the extent to which their less educated followers will go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My question is, why do we have to vote on Valentines day? Anyway, I will leave Abuja briefly before election with my girl in case it leads to mini war. I advice you all do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abiola for the first time u said something reasonable

    Y Vals day? i just weak for this country. Now my girl has an excuse not to come over

    Nikky Nigeria is a complicated Nation and we need men and women of integrity to save us from the mess these old leaders have dragged us and are still dragging us into

    ReplyDelete
  4. Their illiterate followers you mean? @Troublemaker. We need more schools in Nigeria.when these people become aware, there will be less mumu followership

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend introduced me to this blog and I want to use this forum to say my mind. All we need is change. We are tried of Boko boys taking our girls and killing our mothers. We need to rebuild our image internationally. Jo boy is a confused man and does not know what he is doing, yet he refused to go. Allah will help us to remove him by force! My people vote for the change party :) Thank you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vals day is not a problem. No girl will ask me to take her out.lol!

    Nigeria is a complicated nation. We need men of integrity and i doubt if we have any of them in the recent line up. God bless Nigeia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank God, no more election this Valentine day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha! Finally this Abiola man don get girlfirend :) Congrats oh! but your mates don marry you still dey do girlfirend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Myriam, I support you biko!
    Say Buhari!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! This Abiola is very funny! I hope you will marry her after Val?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok. it was quite a messy scenario with your outing with your friends. The more reason i don't do these so called gatherings, anyways... In my own opinion on this election, apc, pdp saga, i still see apc as same as pdp. what exactly is wrong with people's way of thinking and conscience? the same set of people who have been in pdp ruining this country for years eloped and formed a new group and call it change. what nonsense. i can't fall for that. our president in his media chat with nta verbally expressed that he hasn't been utilizing the power bestowed on him as the president of this country in running the affairs of this country and i ask why? i have heard all the activities of his running mate as a former head of state, its barbaric. for the fact that he has opted in to run for president, there is tension everywhere. people should be happy, calm and full of expectations at the emergence of a candidate for a particular political position an not the other way round. its not a bonus but an indictment to his personality. both contestants don't deserve this seat judging from their performances so far.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Iheanyi I totally agree with your stance. Nigerians deserve better leaders and we are obviously not getting any. It is sad what these people are doing to this country.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Comment.
Click on the Subscription button to get more stories.

NB: Any comment that is not by Nikkyivyblog is the exclusive opinion of the Reader who commented and does not reflect the views of Nikkyivyblog

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7