DAY OUT WITH SMART KIDS



Kids can be very smart and these kids nearly floored me.

“And that was how the tortoise fell from the sky and broke his shell.”

I concluded my story with a wide grin on my face and happily looked at the young children staring at me with rapt attention. Even their teacher was also engrossed. Nikky, you are still good. I praised myself and tried not to guffaw.

When I was a kid, I used to love such stories. My grandmother; “God bless her soul” loved telling us such tales by the lamp light. There was never electricity back then. She was a great narrator and all she expected from us was our undivided attention.

“That story is a lie!”

A high shrill voice brought me back to reality. Who said that? I asked myself and searched through the young and admirable faces for who was trying to pour sand into my garri.

“Be quiet Anthony!” Their teacher scolded harshly.

That was when I saw the kid. He had a fierce scowl on his face and piercing eyes. He looked like trouble...
“A rope can't take you to heaven. My dad is a pilot and he said we can’t fly to heaven to see my mum with his plane.”

Their teacher’s admonition was obviously lost on him. Smart kid; I thought with mixed feelings

“My mummy said only angels can fly to heaven.” A pretty little girl added calmly.

These kids want to ruin my career. The other children turned away from their classmates and focused on me. I could see disappointment written all over their faces. They were right. Back then, we knew that my grandma’s stories were fables, but none of us ever challenged her openly. Nawa for these children!

The whole meet a star session I had gladly gone for had turned into a debate session and the kids were winning. I knew I had to get out of the tight corner, but just didn’t know how to go about it. I looked towards their teacher for help, but the woman looked away. You can do this, I encouraged myself;

“You are all correct. A rope cannot take you to heaven and none of you can turn into an alien creature like Ben 10. Maybe someday it will be possible, but not today.”

They all laughed and I knew I had scored.

“However, that is why they are called fairy tales. Fairy tales teach you the difference between good and bad. These stories teach you that being bad, lying or cheating is wrong, that no matter what happens, the truth will always triumph. Most importantly, it teaches you how to be good children and how to respect your elders.”

I saw the kid with the fierce scowl relax and I smiled openly at them with obvious relief; No more fairy tales to smart kids, I swore resolutely. Just then the bell for their break tolled and I sighed with relief.

Comments

  1. Hahahaha! Don't mess with Computer kids. Nice one Nikky

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I guess you finally met mini me hehehe... Omo daddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one. At least u tried to save ur face. Dnt mind today's children, wey de argue wit elders.As u are telling dem somtin, dey'r 'Googling' it immediately...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Computer kids..ℓøℓ! Thank you Ken

    Troublemaker you are just funny

    Emma they are just too sharp, but fun to be with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They fall your hand, infact you did not win this one Nikky!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Comment.
Click on the Subscription button to get more stories.

NB: Any comment that is not by Nikkyivyblog is the exclusive opinion of the Reader who commented and does not reflect the views of Nikkyivyblog

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7