AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.6

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get–only with what you are expecting to give–which is everything."

–Katharine Hepburn

It was 22:30. Alex glared down at the phone vibrating in his grasp and sighed. He was not in the mood for Tricia and her episodes but he knew she had set his number on redial mode and would not quit bothering his line and delaying other calls from getting to him unless he answered her.

“Tricia.” He said calmly the moment he answered the call.

“Alex! Finally you decided to add your fiancée to your busy schedule. Should I thank you for your benevolence?” 

Her signature television personality voice sailed through the clear line and attempted to make him feel guilty for ignoring her calls all day. It was actually intentional and he had no regrets for being angry at her for refusing to accompany him back home. He needed her with him but of course; her job at the broadcasting house was more important. She chose her millions of fans and followers over him and he was not going to forgive that easily. 

“Come on babe...something urgent came up...” He pushed the idea of telling Tricia about Dapper's disappearance out of his mind. 

“As usual...anyway, at least I know you are well. Meanwhile, why do I have one of your lap dogs standing watch at my door? You know how I feel about...”

“Babe, ehmm listen.” he cut her off mid-sentence and continued before she could interject; “I need you to lay low for awhile until I get back. Something came up and Toby will have to accompany you to work and fro...”

“Are you serious right now? WTF! NO! What is this? Trust issues? I don’t want your dog anywhere around me especially NOT Toby. Why do you keep doing this?”

“See why I didn’t want to answer your calls? You never listen.”

Alex balled his hands into fists as he paced around his car. He was outside the chairman’s imposing mansion after he was let in by the gateman. The Chairman’s PA had met him the moment he drove into the compound and had rushed off to inform his boss of his arrival since the man had gone to bed already. Alex felt like going up there to drag him out of bed. But a sensible part of him told him that would not help in any way.

“I never listen? Alex YOU NEVER listen to me and I knew you intentionally avoided my calls but its fine! If you've forgotten, I have a life and I can’t pack up anytime you say go! You can’t just shove a bodyguard at me simply because I refused to travel with you!”

“Tricia I will not do this with you right now. Besides I am not asking for your permission. You are my woman and I am telling you that Toby is sticking around until I can figure out what is happening and who took my sister...”

“I knew it! Something told me this was all about you and your PERFECT little sister. It’s always about Dapper. Alex I am tired of you choosing your sister over us all the time. You don’t see me...”

“That is not true and this is different. Dapper is nowhere to be found, I have men looking for her. This could be coming from anywhere and I will be able to focus if I know Toby is with you. Please, I just want you to understand...”

“I don’t know anything anymore Alex! There is always a reason for you to rush off to your family home instead of being with me but I refuse to be treated like this. I begged you not to travel but you preferred the company and opinion of your sister to that of your fiancée...”

She paused on a sob and Alex rolled his eyes the moment he heard her sniff. Tricia had pulled out the big guns tonight; he thought as he saw the lights coming on in Chairman’s mansion. They had been together for eight months and that was enough time for him to know his woman would never shed a tear for anybody not even for her sick mother. She was never emotional. His friends had described her as cold, but that was not enough to make him stay away from her, he had accepted all her flaws and great qualities. 

He could still remember the day he first saw her at the governor's lodge. She had ended a media broadcast with the governor for one of her early morning shows. Her beauty and poise had smitten him and he had gone all out to win her love and loyalty. Alex knew she loved the spotlight and the glamorous lifestyle that came with her status but he had no problem showering her with expensive gifts and showing her off to the world. He eventually won her heart, they were in-love and he was satisfied and delighted with their imperfect bubble and wanted forever with her. 

The engagement was in Dubai and Tricia moved in the moment they got back to the country. Waking up to her beauty every morning was a high he was willing to gladly overdose on till eternity if only she had remained the same. It took a while for her to get over the euphoria of their engagement party; that was how long the mask remained up. It eventually fell off and revealed the new Tricia he had been struggling to live with. She suddenly became overly possessive with so much negative energy, ruthless most times; going by how she yelled and mistreated his home staff, she was easily angered and a control freak who felt threatened by his family, business partners and friends. He never expected those traits and as much as it all made him become distant, he was still willing to stick around while waiting patiently for her to exorcise herself. Obviously she had no intention of doing that.

“Tricia, babe I have to go. I am sure you have an early show tomorrow or probably still at the office. Just know that Toby or David will be there just in case you need anything...”

 A clicking sound made him pause. He pulled the phone off his ear and stared at it as reality dawned on him; she had cut the call on him!

 Alex flung the phone into his car through the wound down windows and pensively paced around his car, hands stuck in his jacket pockets as he battled not to lose his usually firm grip on his steadily dwindling sanity. Tricia had a way of making him tip towards being lethal but he would never harm her or any woman. They just needed to work on their relationship if only she would agree she was the problem. Sighing deeply he closed his eyes; he needed to focus on Dapper and definitely not Tricia. 

It had been hours since she was last seen and there was still no news from his men. He had reached out to the few friends she had but none had seen her. She seemed to have disappeared as if magic was involved. If only he believed in magic or a supreme being.

“Lex!”

Alex paused on his tracks and turned towards the voice.

NEXT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines day: LOL!!

My white Christmas tale

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E.11

AFLOAT SEASON 2 E. 12

Nikky's Diary - 17 Again?

Afloat Season 3 E.5

Afloat Season 3 E. 7